AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF JOHN CAMPBELL
^ In 1890 John Campbell of Irontoa, Ohio, made lh<- following Btatement ha. regard lo 1>1b lite: 'T'C,
• He lived on hi* father's farm, be¬ tween klpley and Georgetown, Browa county, Ohio, Irom hlrth 1808 t\> 1830, -when, la Augi^, he commenced clerk¬ ing In the store ol hl^ uncle Wm. Humphrey* In Ripley; continued there till May 1831, then his uncle sent him ' with a Btore to Kustf'ellvllle, a neigh¬ boring town, where he remained un¬ til 1832. H« then engaged as clerk on the Steamer "Banner", runniiig Irom Cl-aclnnati to Pittsburg. On his Second trip he annvsunced in the cablu • before some Iron men from the Haug- ing Rjo.'k *^egion, Umk. ho wns opon lor engagen>«4t;,..,-iuidreV KUlsoa and J?obt. Hamilton Invited him to clerk lor them at Hanging- Rock, so he stopped off there In March 1833.. The
X* Hanging Rock Rolling Mill began In the building of "The Forge", In March 1833. The stockholderB iu
JThe Forge . were jhe^ same In the
Siiadiig"~o^f^ISWreHC6 Turiace^^OT^^ led "J. Rtggs & Co" tower; Jamea IRodgera, Andrew Ellison, Robt. Ham¬ ilton, Robt. Dyer BurgesB, Joseph RlggB, who subb'crl'b«d, even amounts. Mr. Oampbell, tiad th© privilege of Investing, but declined. He loaned J. RlggB & Co., 11500 ia 'the building oT La-wrenc© Fuma<?e. From March 1833 -to August 1833 he asslated at the booka and helped auperIntend the . men, In building the Hanging Rock Forge. Then he went to the site of Lawrenoe Furnace, called "Cranes' Nert.", and ab'slated In eriectlng the same, as Buperlntiendent. under An¬ drew Ellleon, from August 1833 to January Ist 1835; then visited hU home In Brown county, Ohio, for-^wo months, till March 1835; 'then return¬ ed to Hanging Rock and clerked at the "l/andlng" until June 1835; tJen he went to Mt. Vernon Furnac? hb Manager, and managed until July 18- 46. , Mr. Campbell that ywir bought 'the residence of Andrew'EJlllaon from hl8 widow Jane EUlBori, and'move 1, remaining at Hanging Rock from 18' '46 -'to- Sept. 1850^ when he removed to Ironton, where In December 1850, ho occupied hlB new Irontop reBldeitico. The foregoing were the only o-icupa tions Mr. Campbell ever engaged In up to 1850, and h-e never engaged In manual laibor aiter leaving his fath er"* farm. Mr. EJlUaon. uncle of Mr. CikmpbeU's future wife, had mAuage'd at Mt. 'Vernon Furnace from late tar 18^4 to June 1835, wheb he moved -to hanging Ro.-;k; In 1838 he anuvii'I to Manchester. Ohio, where he re-alJl- ed until h'B <;eath about 1865. Tue Andrew Ellison homestead at Hang Ing Rock lb- what 1b now kffbwn as tbe Hempstead place.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.