In the midst of the Great Depression, the Swanton Board of Education voted, by request of a number of local residents, on a resolution to establish a public library "to provide reading material for the inhabitants of Swanton Local School District and of Fulton County..." Thus, on August 28, 1935, the first meeting was held of the Swanton School District Public Library Board of Trustees. At this time the Board requested part of the property taxes of the county. In 1935 the budget for the library was $1500.
The first library was housed at Cherry Street School. In 1936 the library was granted a charter by the State Library of Ohio with the first librarian being named, Mrs. B.J. (Irma) Moorman.
In 1973, due to repeated requests from the adult public, a branch library was opened at 95 North Main. Mrs. Imogene Walter served as librarian at this location. During the celebration of the nation's bicentennial in 1976, Mrs. Walter compiled an extensive slide collection taken from photographs loaned by local citizens. The collection contained over 400 images of Swanton area history. The project was funded through a grant obtained by the Northwest Ohio Library Cooperative (NORWELD). Over thirty years later, under another NORWELD LSTA grant, the slides were made accessible on the Ohio Memory Project for worldwide view.
In 1978, the Village of Swanton donated land at 305 Chestnut Street for the construction of a new library. Voters approved a .7 mill, 20 year bond levy appropriating $350,000 for the present building, which was dedicated on November 18, 1979.
A large children's programming room and handicapped facilities were added to the rear of the present structure in the spring of 1994.
In 2008, a 0.5 mill operating levy was passed for a period of five years.