Hartford 3 Mo 2 1814
Esteemed Friend- thy acceptable pavd of the 28th of 1st <p was recd yesterday. The subject of Cr Mill etc etc again under consideration. A Skinner supposed that lands lying near the portage would suit thee best. We had opened the way a little with Elmer Perkins (I went with him day before yesterday to see the Mill) who has land near it. But he would not exchange or would receive notes which might be taken for our property at 5 years. This I do not think much of concluding that the [illegible] would prefer such notes, on interest with good security & lands. On the whole, as the last resort, provided I Rook proposals are not acceptable to thee, I wish our Mill and etc to be sold at auction. that in some way the half of it may apply in pay, of my debt to thee. Perhaps thou may agree to authorise M Bull to arrange it for this purpose, that as it would sell best at some credit, the security might meet his approbation, and in the way have it [illegible] to my credit, or if this would not do, [illegible] it will sell for in cash and this I would pay on my debt. I am tired of the concern of the Mill and also of thinking about that Note. Thou may readily suppose that I would prefer paying it to holding lands any where. Thou must not conclude that I under value those lands. I have no doubt of their excellence. I beleive thou hast chosen a country of very fertile land but I shall never go there untill this debt is paid.
I am obliged by thy detail and hope in process of time to remove there, or some other way. Hope thou will answer this immediately as a [illegible] in the hast to sell the mill. A Skinner rode with me to meeting to day. Thy respect to thy self and wife.
T Rotch John I Wells