Ohio Jewish Chronicle, 1969-02-13, page 01
|Save page Remove page||Previous||1 of 12||Next|
Loading content ...
A Voi:47;No.7 ServinQ Celumbus, "Central" and Southwestern OhiojQfE THURSDAY. FEBRUARY 13.1969 - 25 SHEVAT Kobbi Kaplan's Death is Loss To Community & Campus Rabbi Hany Kaplan, di¬ rector d the B'nai B'rith HlUel Foundation at OMo State University for 33 years and Midwest regional direc¬ tor since 1948 d the Jewish campus organization, died last week (Friday, Feb. 7) at Grant Hospital here after a short illness. He was 68. Rabbi Kaplan held the lon- - gest tenure of service in tfae campus ministry of any Hillel rabbL He was spiritual lea¬ der, couselor and Mend to tens of thousands ofJewish students at OhloState. Rabbi Harry Kaplan, bom in Minneapalis, Minn., Oct¬ ober, 6,1901. Rabbi Kaplan has been di¬ rector of the B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation at Ohio State University since 1935. TUs Foundation is one of the- largest in the country, serving a Jewish consti¬ tuency of over 3000. He was a post president ofthe Uni¬ versity Religiaus Council of Ohio State University. Di¬ rector,., of tfae Board of the Ohio' Citizens' CouncU for . Heatth and Welfare 1953. past president oCCoIumbusToorch Club, member of Crichton Club, and one ofthe founders (tfCdumbus Town Meeting. He was II trequent speaker before College and IMver¬ sity groups. Member ofthe Central Conference of Am¬ erican RabUs, member of ^ B'nai B'riUi, and a Rotarian. RABBI KAPLAN came to the Hmel Foundation Cram a ministry of nine years In Pittsfield, Massachusetts, serving Temple AnsheAmu- nim, and from a background ofJewish student work inthe colleges of New England. ; He was graduatedtromthe University of Minnesota in 1923^ He was ordahied a Rabbi at the Jewish Institute of Religion In 1927. He tdok postgraduate woarkatthe Uii¬ versity of Wisconsin, at Ohio State Uiiversity, and at the Genevh, Switzerlandlhstitute of MemationalStudies. air¬ ing the summer of 1934Rabbi , Kaiilanwasameinberqfthe Stiarwood EddyTravelingSe- minar of bitemational Af- . fairs, visiting England, France, andSwitzerland with that group and travelhig also individually to Italy and Pa- ilestine.' In 1955 he visited Israel, Italy and Greece, to 1960 RabU Kaplan was a mem¬ ber of the B'nai B'ritiiiMis- sion to West Germany. Rabbi Kaplan was a.past Presldeht of the Jewish Teachers' As¬ sociation of the New Eng¬ land Liberal Schools, of the Pittsfield CouncU of Social Agencies, and Of ihe AlumniiM \Ass6ciaUon.;:^iithe [Jewish > Institute of Religion; IN ADDTTlbN to his dut¬ ies as HiUel Dbrector at \pUo State University, Rabbi Kaplan was MidwestR%ion- al Director for the B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundations, and a member of the Nation¬ al HUlel Cabtaet. , : Rabbi Harry Kaplan Rabbi Kaplan's articles have appeared in "Beligious Education," "The National Jewish MonUdy" and "The Commentator." . RABBI KAPLAN was hon-; ored in 1953 wtth the honor¬ aiy degree of Doctor of Di¬ vinity by Hebrew IMon Col¬ lege - Jewish Institute of Religion, Cincinnati, OMo. m 1955 OMoState Udversd gave himthe honoraiy degree of Doctor ot Laws. He was listed in Who^s Who in the Midwest, United States and Canada, and in Who^s Whoin World Jewry. Leaders Moum Rabbi's Passing NOVICE G, FAWCETT, president^f OSU. issued the following statement to the Chronicle: "The death of RabU Hariy Kaplanremoyes a landmark ff om the campus community. Not only thou¬ sands of Obio State students, but many faculty and staff memlwrs as well, wUl miss the wise counsel and under¬ standing wMch were uniquely -Ms and wMch he generously shared wiUi alL We extend our sympathy to Ms famUy , and jota the community hi moufnhig the loss of tMs man who has been part, ef campus life for so many years." Rabbi JuUus Baker of Aha¬ vas Sholom said that "Rabbi Kaplan's Ufe is Uke a book just finished. Words cannot adequately depict the loss of such an eminent spiritual leader w*o MMs manyyears of teacMng andplanting seeds of spiritual Ught and Ufe has left an indelible impress upon the hearts and minds of thou¬ sands of students from aU over the world. May Ms life serve as an inspiration and Us memoiy be a blessing," Dr. Jerome D. FoUmianof Temple Israel 8aidthat"Co=;. lumbus Has lost one of its* greatest leaders—a beloved rabbi, a learned scholar, a courageous, builder of the kingdom of God oA earth and friend of man regardless of age, creed, race or station. But the worlt of Rabbi Harry Kaplan wiU Uve forever—a deatMess testimonial to a faithfiil servant of God." RABBI Bennett Hermann of Beth Tikvah caUed him " a great friend of BeUi Tik¬ vah who was instrumental ( Continued on Page 3 ) Saa SthlMtky, SISTERHOOD PLANS :.EVfiNING-IN VIENNA .. The tifereth Israel Sisterhood wUl celebrate its 57th Birthday at their "Evening ta Old Vienna" party on Saturday, Feb. 22, at 9 p^m. U the Temple Social Hall. Mrs. Martin Adler, Sisterhood preisident, an¬ nounced that tMs js the largest fim«;-raising affair sponsored b^ the groups and aU money will be used for the^.reUgiiOMsts«ii(i6It«'> M^; ?Stro«go<S)(fdvld(dv->and'«iier committee,' Mes¬ dames HarryiSterUng j MsKer^^Caimcher, Marvta^bs- enthal, Benton; Benistecker;!DaVld<Priedinan,THarold Mlndlta,- Edward Mendlowitz, I^einz Hofbnan and^ Donald -Cohen, are preparing a continental supper. ^ The decorations committee wiU transform the social iiaU into an elegant grand ballroom. Mrs. Jack Maries and Mrs. Edward Hirsch are chairmen of the affair. From left, above, are Mrs. . Marts, Mrs. Hir8ch,Mra. Alvin. ;,, :; Brotherhood Honors Sam Schionsky -Columbus humanitarian Slam ScMonsky wiU be pre¬ sented witii the "Flowersfor Uie Llvbig" Award by Uie Agudas AcMm Brotherhood - on Thursday, Feb. 20 at 8 p,m., ta tbe sanctuary of the Agudas Acfaim Syna¬ gogue,' 2767 E. Broad St. ScMonaky-wfU be honored for a life^tbne of service to MS' ainiaimgue, Jewish com- munaJU<HiMI9es..and,tfae gen-. oral commuMty. Known for Ms fairness to aU r^ard- less of race, creed, color or station'in life, he has won the admiration and affection of aU with whom he has come ta contact. SPECIAL recogUtion and honors have come to him from tlie Columbus Torah Academy, Israel Bondsi and the United Jewish Fund ami CounciL He is a recipient of the "Sanford ° Lakta" award from B'nai B'rith. Hq was ta the foreCront of those involved ta buildtag Heritage House of wMch he has been a past vice-president aiad has beeii thetr religious chainnan stace its taception. He is an hmorary trustee of the Agudas AcUin Con¬ gregation having served sev¬ eral times as vice-chairman of the Board of Trustees; for several decades has been vicorchairndan of the Chevra Kadisha; chairman (if tbe im¬ portant membership and re¬ tention committee; is a co- chairman of tbe advanced gifts divisiim of the Styna- gogue's.Buildtag Fund Cam¬ paign and CaUnet; and is a key member of all the com¬ mittees involved in the oper¬ ation of the Congregation. He is a charter member of the Brotherhood and an ardent supporter of their Minycoi- naire prQgrain.\ ScMonsky resides with Ms wife, Tessie, on Kellner Avenue ta Berwick and has one daughter, Mrs. Gerald Friedman, and four grand¬ sons, ' ¦ He WiU be presented with tbe award by RabU Samuel W. Rubenstein. Mayor M.E. Sensenbreimer will be the guest speaker and Clerk of Courts, Ted Hysell, will bring special greettags. The community of Colum¬ bus is tavited to come and participate. A reception ta Sain's honor wfllbe held. UJrc Sabbath This Weekc»nd Rabbi David Stavsky, president of the Columbus Board of RabUs, has announced that tids weekend, Friday, Feb. 14 and Saturday, Feb. 15, has been designated as United Jewish Fund and CouncU Sabbath. Special sermons wlU be preached and special services beld to bring tothe attention of aU local congregations and, tbeir membersMps the crucial.needs to be met tathe regular campaign of tbe , . rehabilitation, absorption, resettiement jof newcomers to the State of Israel, its educational and social wrel- flare needs, wUch Israiel can „, no longer provitki, as it has in the past, because of its enormous defense budget, - and the necessity for guard¬ ing its bdrders.'fktmi daUy ' attack' by guerrilla forces trom surroundhig Arab na- United Jewish Fund and CouncU, ^d the urgency of support of the eonttaulng Is¬ rael Emergency Fund Cam¬ paign. STRONG statements ta support of the 1969 campaign lutve been issued by aUtbe spiritual leaders of Cdum¬ bus congregations. Tfaey wiU be found ta tMs issue of the Chronicle. Members are urged to attendtheirTempIes tions. and/or Synagogues tMs AS THE RABBIS point out. wedeend to'faear Uie special messages of tbeir riiUbinical leaders, relating tothegoals of tfae 1969 campaign. Tbe Regular Fundtacludes more than 40 boieficlaiy agencies,'ta Columbus, ta it is a sacred doty and ob- ligation of each and every Jew. to stand beside Israel ta her hour of need by mak¬ ing a contributioo to tiie Is¬ rael Emeisency Fun^ as weU as to see that our com- our natiim, ta Israel and ' munity conttaues fogrqiwand throughout the world^ where- flourish, liy givtag to tbe .ever. Jews, are, ia-need'< d assistance. The Israel Emergen^ Fund is 100% for Israel, to take care ofthe Regular Fund wMch-is-to¬ support more than 40healtlv welfare and edicatiooal ta- stttuUons'and agencies. BALL PLANNERS These ladies are hard at wort each witfa their own projects ta connection with Raanana's fortfaccmiqg Dtaner Dance Ball to be held on March 1, at 7:15 p.m. at Congr^cation Tiferethl8raeI,i354E.BroadSt. Standing firom left to riglit are Mesdames Hetaz V HofCknan, Henry Lewta, Leo MUler. Sitting Mesdnnes Peter Diichon, Abram Weinrib, Nonnan Brody. Not Shown: Mesdames Keve Zians, Max Lowy and Mitton AmoS^ ,:. Raanana 'BalV March! at T.L The entire year's efforts by the menibers of Raanana are to acMeve one mata goal, the support of the Big Eight Miz¬ racM prcdects ta IsraeL One of these isthe Bessie Gotsfield ChUdrei^s VUl%e and Farm School estaUisted ta 1947 and located at Raahaha, IsraeL Some 350 boys andgirls between tbe ages of 12 and 17 Uve, study and wort ta Uds self- govemtag Youth Aliyah vUlage. An additional'100 day students come from nearby towns. KFAR BATX^itacIudes an agiicuttiiin^^Mghschwd, an tadus^cjttiliMgh schotd and an acadeinic Idgh school, aU accredited by tte govern¬ ment (tf IsraeL Tte village is now being developed as a majo]: tadustrial training center. Tte BeUi ZeiroUi Mizra¬ chi,. Jerusalem opened ta comDil- 193J8, T%^dg! born ch ,,,,.,-, _. _^,_ from Noitii Africa and tto Middle East. Coursies leadto , careers ta dietetics, hotel liuuiagement, secretarial and office wort, tEasMon design, dressmaking and teaching. A third prcdect IstiieBak- ka Settiement House. m I- *'
|Title||Ohio Jewish Chronicle, 1969-02-13|
|Subject||Jews -- Ohio -- Periodicals|
|Place||Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)|
|Creator||Ohio Jewish Chronicle|
|Collection||Ohio Jewish Chronicle|
|Submitting Institution||Columbus Jewish Historical Society|
|Rights||This item may have copyright restrictions. Online access is provided for research purposes only. For rights and reproduction requests or more information, go to http://www.ohiohistory.org/images/information|
|Image Height||Not Available|
|Image Width||Not Available|