Series 2760 AV
Ohio Dept. of Education
Ohio Travelog Film Collection
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
State Archives Record Series
SERIES 2760 AV
OHIO DEPT. OF EDUCATION
OHIO TRAVELOG FILM COLLECTION
OVERVIEW OF THE SERIES
Series Number: Series 2760 AV
Creating Agency: Ohio Dept. of Education
Series Title: Ohio Travelog Film Collection
Dates of Series: Ca. 1938-1939
Media: 16mm motion picture film
Quantity: 0.25 cubic feet, 61 film reels
Location: Ohio Historical Center
Legislative concern with education in the area that is now Ohio dates from the time of
the establishment of the Northwest Territory in 1787. The Ordinance of 1787 that
established the territory included the statement “Religion, morality, and knowledge being
necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means
of education shall be encouraged.” The 1802 Ohio Constitution includes instructions to
the General Assembly to “secure a thorough and efficient system of common schools
throughout the state.” The Ohio Department of Education is responsible for the
oversight of public primary and secondary education in the state, although the direct
providers of educational services are the local school districts (as of 1999, there were
612). The Department of Education is governed by a State Board of Education
established in 1956. The Governor appoints some of the members of this Board and the
others are directly elected by the state’s voters. The Board’s responsibilities include the
Formulating the administrative policies on instruction, teaching materials,
buildings, equipment, transportation of pupils, finance, and school district
Apportioning state and federal funds to elementary and secondary schools.
Prescribing minimum school standards.
Determining the professional requirements for teachers and other educators
employed by school districts.
Operating the state schools for the blind and the deaf.
Hearing important issues as a board of review.
Giving leadership in the improvement of public education, including necessary
planning and evaluation.
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.