Adeline Hughes Hagerman -
Fanny Hagerman Laylin Papers
2 cubic feet
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the Adeline
Hughes Hagerman - Fanny Hagerman Laylin Papers as a gift of
Laylin's daughter, Anne Grimes, in February 1984. Barbara
Floyd processed the collection in April 1984.
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns the property
rights to this collection.
Copyrights: Ms. Grimes has dedicated such copyrights as she
possesses in this collection to the public. Consideration of
all other copyrights is the responsibility of the author and
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations
of the Ohio Historical Society.
Citation: Researchers are reguested to cite collection name,
collection number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all foot-note
and bibliographic references.
Transfer: Photographs were transferred to the audiovisual
collections in April 1984.
Biographical sketch: Adeline Palmer Hughes was born December 15,
1856, in Weller Township near Mansfield, Ohio. She married Edward
Thomson Hagerman on March 20, 1881. Hagerman worked as a farmer,
but in June 1882 suffered a sunstroke and saw this as a sign to
enter the ministry. Shortly after the birth of their first
daughter, Vera, the family moved to Berea, Ohio, so Edward could
enroll at Baldwin University to study theology.
In September 1884, Edward moved to Tiffin, Ohio, to enter the
Methodist Conference and was appointed to a circuit covering
Ashland County. Also in that year a second daughter, Fanny,
was born and the first child died. The family moved to Polk,
Ohio, 1885 with another daughter, Mary, born that year.
The family moved to Wellington, Ohio, in 1892 and the following
year daughter Clildred was born. In 1894 Haqerman graduated from
Baldwin University and for a year serve6 as presiding elder of
the Norwalk, Ohio, district of the Methodist Church. Another
daughter, Josephine, was born in 1901, and i. n 1903 the family
left Ohio for Des Moines, Iowa, where Hagerman became pastor of
the First Methodist Church.
OBI0 HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1982 Velma Avmi~ e. ColumOui. Oliio 43211- 2447 ph: 614.297.2300 fx: 611297.2411
www. ahiobistury. o; g
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.