Hegler Family Papers
1- 1/ 4 cubic feet and oversizc
Provenance: The Ohio Historical Society acquired the Hegler
Family Papers between 1916 and 1957 from Almer and M. H. Hegler,
Washington Court House, Ohio, and Mrs. Hugh Kennedy, Columbus,
Ohio. Sherrill Dryden- Baird processed the collection in June
Property rights: The Ohio Historical Society owns the property
rights to this collection.
Copyrights: Copyrights have not been dedicated to the public.
Consideration of the requirements of copyright is the responsi-bility
of the author and publisher.
Access: This collection is open under the rules and regulations
of the Ohio Historical Society.
Citation: Researchers are requested to cite collection name,
collection number, and the Ohio Historical Society in all foot-note
and bibliographic references.
Transfer: Several Ohio militia poll books and reports were
transferred to the State Archives in March 1981. Miscellaneous
advertising cards and tickets, a map, a political broadside, a
photograph, and a linen drawing were transferred to the Audio-visual
Department in March and June 1981.
Biographical sketch: Abraham Hegler and family emigrated to
Ross County, Ohio, in 1809 from Hardy County, Virginia. In
1813, Abraham Hegler was appointed Ross County justice of the
peace. From circa 1816 to 1830 he served as captain, major,
and lieutenant colonel in the Ohio militia. Hegler served in
the Ohio legislature during the 1838 to 1839 session as a member
of the House of Representatives.
Source: MSS 196, Hegler Family Papers, Ohio Historical Society.
Scope and content: The Hegler Family Papers date from 1776 to
1910 and occupy one and one- quarter cubic feet. The papers
consist of correspondence, financial records, legal documents,
legislative bills, survey records, and miscellaneous papers,
arranged alphabetically by type of document and then chronolog-ically.
Many of the early letters in the collection are written
in German. Handwritten and typewritten translations of these
items, compiled by an unknown person, are filed in the collection
following the original item. Descriptions for some English items
also are included.
OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1982 v ~ A ! ~~ coiu~ m~ bus , 0~ hio 13~ 211- 24~ 97 oh,: 614. 297.2300 iX: 614.297.2411
www. ohiohistoiy. org
This item is a finding aid or inventory to an Ohio Historical Society collection or series. Finding aids are descriptive access tools that provide more complete information about a collection than you will find in the online catalog record. For more information on the collection and to view its contents, contact the Ohio Historical Society.